Index: What is IRAF64? / News / Installation / Our results (progress) / Our Plan / Project members / Credits / References
The IRAF64 Project
is porting the IRAF software to the
x86_64 Linux OS with NATIVE x86_64 (AMD64,EM64T) executable.
Our IRAF is developed as a candidate of IRAF Version 3.0.
We use the SourceForge.Net (
The source code is maintained using the Subversion,
and the repository is public now.
Finished review/update of DATAIO, IMAGES, PLOT, PROTO and UTILITIES packages
Some tasks in IRAF core packages (e.g., "imexamine", "imstat", "contour", etc.) are ready to run. We show a screenshot of imexam task below;
Subversion repository is open
The development is now conducted by using SourceForge.Net. See Code page on sourceforge.net. You can browse the code tree (history). This 64-bit IRAF is based on PC-IRAF Version 2.14.1.
You can check out the latest source code:
$ svn checkout https://iraf64.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/iraf64/trunk/src iraf64
Installation is very simple and easy. You do not have to uninstall 32-bit IRAF. You do not have to change any environment variables for IRAF.
- [PREPARATION]Install subversion and readline-devel. $ yum install subversion $ yum install readline-devel
- [CHECKOUT]$ svn checkout https://iraf64.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/iraf64/trunk/src iraf64 $ cd iraf64
- [HOW TO BUILD]Edit the Makefile and set PREFIX, and use make as follows: $ make boot $ make iraf $ make reboot $ make tables $ make noao
- [HOW TO INSTALL]
$ su # make install (analysis environment only) # make install_devel (development environment only)
- [HOW TO RUN CL]
You do NOT have to set any environment variables except PATH. $ PATH=/opt/local/bin:$PATH $ mkiraf $ cl rehash is required when using csh or zsh.
We show the result of our project below.
Progress of package updates for 64-bit support
We are reviewing/updating *ALL* SPP codes of IRAF to support complete 64-bit system. We show the progress of the work below.
Note that basically all tasks in unupdated packages cause PANIC error.
number of reviewed lines of SPP codes
directory name reviewd(lines) total(lines) sys 188000 188000 math 28000 28000 pkg 286000 286000 tables 70000 140000 noao 66000 377000
progress of packages
iraf system library updated? note all Yes Full 64-bit support of memory and file I/O. FITS with BITPIX=64 is also supported. FORTRAN codes do not fully support 64-bit integer. Support of IMFORT is dropped.
iraf package/library updated? note CL Yes Linked witn GNU readline. ECL - SYSTEM Yes SOFTOOLS Yes XTOOLS Yes DATAIO Yes IMAGES Yes LISTS Yes PLOT Yes PROTO Yes UTILITIES Yes
tables package/library updated? note DISPLAY - GFLIB - GILIB Yes STXTOOLS Yes FORTRAN codes do not fully support 64-bit integer. TBTABLES Yes FORTRAN codes do not fully support 64-bit integer. TFORM = 'K' is not supported. UTTABLES - FITSIO Yes TBPLOT - TTOOLS -
noao package/library updated? note NOAOLIB Yes ARTDATA - ASTUTIL - ASTCAT - DIGIPHOT.LIB Yes DIGIPHOT.APPHOT Yes DIGIPHOT.DAOPHOT Yes DIGIPHOT.PHOTCAL - Current work DIGIPHOT.PTOOLS - MTLOCAL - NPROTO - OBSUTIL - ONEDSPEC - RV - TWODSPEC.APEXTRACT - TWODSPEC.LONGSLIT - IMRED.BIAS - IMRED.CCDRED - IMRED.CRUTIL - IMRED.DTOI - IMRED.GENERIC - IMRED.IRRE - IMRED.QUADRED - IMRED.VTEL -
- Improvements of C code to meet the present standard.
- Enabled gcc's `-Wall' option and minimized gcc's warnings.
- Replaced ancient style (K&R → ANSI, dropped varargs.h support, etc).
- Appended complete prototype declarations.
- Improved a lot of security issues.
- gcc-4.3 is also OK!
- Rearranged IRAF directory structure.
- IRAF64 does not have to be installed to /iraf.
- Redefined `
MACH' environment variable.
- Appended an mechanism of auto-detection of OS and architecture when building IRAF.
- Applied `GNU make' to build IRAF easily.
OS and architecture are automatically detected on `make boot' stage.
- Replaced csh-scripts with sh-scripts.
Updates for x86_64
- Wrote an assembler code for Linux x86_64 architecture.
- Prepared the environment for `LP64-SPP' development.
- Some modifications for SPP preprocessor/convertor and f77 configurations
- xc, rpp, xpp and mkpkg are OK!
- Reviewed and updated `core' C and SPP codes (libsys.a, libvops.a, libcur.a, libstg.a, libds.a, libex.a and libc.a).
- Supported 64-bit memory allocation.
- Supported large data (> 4GB) in the majority of functions.
- Supported handling FITS image of BITPIX=64.
- Reviewd and updated codes of CL, SYSTEM, SOFTOOLS, XTOOLS, DATAIO, IMAGES packages.
- `cl' is running on CentOS 4.x/Fedora 8,9.
- `display' task is OK (FITS file can be read).
- Some tasks in DATAIO and IMAGES packages are also OK.
The `display' task is running on the CentOS x86_64 edition (xgterm is i386 executable).
The `display' task displays a FITS file.
- First, we intend to provide 64-bit support of core system. [done]
(i.e., libraries and basic tasks in sys/ pkg/ and math/ directories).
- Tables library and NOAO standard utilities will be updated after support of core system. [current work]
- Collaboration with STScI/NOAO may be wanted for updates of Tables library and NOAO standard utilities.
If you find some tasks with problems, please send your report to cyamauch_at_ir.isas.jaxa.jp. ( _at_ means @)
- Project Admins/Developer:
Brian Crook, Keith Rosema, Sergio Pascual and Yasushi Nakajima
- Advice for Assembler Code:
- General Testing:
- Advice for IRAF overall:
Mike Fitzpatrick (NOAO) and Nelson Zarate (NOAO).
- Advice for TABLES package:
Phil Hodge (STSCI).
- ADASS XVII:
Porting the IRAF to x86_64 OS, Poster(pdf)
- AURA software meeting 2008.
- Porting Linux applications to 64-bit systems.
Last Modified: 28 Aug. 2009